When it comes to oral health and hygiene, the best toothbrush obviously goes a long way in helping to deliver that. Although there are several electric toothbrushes you can choose from, the best toothbrush is going to offer a variety of features, settings, and cleaning modes, that will set it apart from others. Outlined below are the three best toothbrush models Dental Detective found. Please see the highlights below to determine which model is right for you.
Dental Detective’s Best Toothbrush Ranking
- Highest Price, Most Options; Oral-B Pro 7500
- Best Value, Excellent Choice: Oral-B Pro 1500
- Great Value, Excellent Choice: Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 HX6810
1. Oral-B Pro 7500; The Best Toothbrush – Period
The Pro 7500 series is the most expensive of our top picks, but for good reason. It offers more features, settings, greater speeds, and brush options to utilize than any other electric toothbrush on the market.
Pros & Cons
Some of the pros that this toothbrush delivers includes:
- There are multiple cleaning modes and a built-in timer
- A built-in pressure sensor monitors you when you are brushing too hard at the gum line
- You can connect with Bluetooth to a smartphone app to track your brushing, and oral health improvements
- It comes with two extra brush heads – Pro and Floss
- It’s available in four color options
- The 3D technology oscillates, pulsates, and rotates
- There are five cleaning modes (daily, gum care, sensitive, whitening, pro-clean)
- The quad-pacer reminds you when to move to a different quadrant while brushing
There are some cons to mention as well including:
- The oral app is intuitive, but doesn’t really promote better oral healthcare
- The travel accessories don’t offer much to users
- There’s no wireless smart guide
- The price point is higher than other models
The Primary Differences Between Our Best Toothbrush Models
Obviously, when comparing the best toothbrush models, you want to know the best and worst product features. But, what are the primary differences between these three brushes?
- Oral-B Pro 7500 has 5 brushing modes
- Other models have one brushing mode
- Oral-B Pro 7500 comes with additional brush heads
- Similar models don’t offer additional brush heads
- Oral-B brushes have the 3D cleaning technology
- Philips toothbrushes currently does not offer anything like this
- The price tag. The Oral-B 7500 is the most expensive, but if none of these items are show-stoppers, the other top picks can save you some money.
2. Oral-B Pro 1500, Powered By Braun
For those who want to buy the best toothbrush, the Oral-B family has several great models, including this Braun electric toothbrush. It delivers a superior clean over manual brushing, and is priced similarly to the Philips toothbrush. It removes up to 300% the plaque buildup at the gum line, in comparison to manual brushing as well. Superior 3D cleaning oscillates the brush heads quickly, and is clinically proven to deliver a deeper clean than manual brushing.
Pros & Cons
Some of the best features of this toothbrush are:
- 2 Cleaning modes, normal & sensitive
- 56-minute battery life (14 days, 2 minutes per day, 2 times per day)
- It rotates and pulsates to break up debris and plaque at the gum line
- It features 3D cleaning, brushing up to 300% faster than manual brushing
- There are a wide range of replacement heads available
- A timer that stutters the motor 1 time every 30 seconds, and 3 times every 2 minutes
- The 16 degree brush head angle gets between teeth to remove food that’s lodged easier than manual brushing
- A pressure sensor stops and pulsates if you are brushing too hard at the gum line
Some of the drawbacks include:
- It comes with the CrossAction brush head and no extras
There are close to ten brush heads, but only one is included with the toothbrush. In previous models, like the Pro 1000, the toothbrush would just stop working when the battery was drained. In this Pro 1500 model, it will actually slow its motor down slightly, once it gets to that point. This will allow you to use it another 2 to 3 times, a solid perk of a rechargeable toothbrush.
3. Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 HX6810
A final option when comparing the best toothbrush in the electric toothbrush battle is from a different brand, Philips. At a fair price point, coming in under $50, you can get up to 7 times the plaque removal than you do with manual brushing with this electric toothbrush model. There’s one cleaning feature/mode with this toothbrush, so it is lacking a bit in terms of settings/operability. It’s safe to use around the gum line and on dental work. it’s also safe to use for patients who wear braces.
Pros & Cons
Some of the best features this toothbrush delivers includes:
- Good for oral care with dental work (crowns, veneers, bridges, etc)
- There’s a smart timer (quadrant reminder)
- Good for those who wear braces to easily clean around the brackets
- Up to 7 times the plaque removal of traditional brushing
- Advanced technology sweeps between the teeth to remove plaque, debris, and buildup
- Delivers 62,000 brush strokes per minute
Some of the drawbacks of this toothbrush model are:
- There’s only one brush head
- Only one setting/brush option
- It’s only compatible with 110 to 220 voltage (North America)
Some of the brush features are lacking with this toothbrush. It might be the best toothbrush for those who want something simple, easy to use, and affordable in the marketplace.
Verdict… What’s the Best Toothbrush for You?
So, what is the best toothbrush for you? The answer will vary on what you’re looking for. Looking for a kids electric toothbrush? For the budget conscious shopper who is looking for the best toothbrush, the Oral-B 1500 or Philips toothbrush are the top options. Both are priced at the same rate, and offer similar features. The primary difference between these two models is the 3D clean by Oral-B which Philips doesn’t offer. Additionally, the Oral-B brush offers additional brush heads, which Philips doesn’t. If you’re looking for the best toothbrush for an affordable price, both models are relatively close, so it may end up being more of a brand preference than actual feature/design preference.
For those who want the best toothbrush, regardless of price, the Oral-B 7500 series is the obvious winner. More features, more brush modes, 3D clean technology, the smartphone app, and the alternative brush heads, help set it apart from the other two brushes. Although the price is much steeper, if you can afford it, and just want the best toothbrush overall, regardless of pricing, this is the top choice for you to invest in when buying a new electric toothbrush. With several models to choose from, it can be tough to find the best toothbrush out there, but these are three great electric models to consider investing in when you’re ready to buy a new brush.